Wednesday, April 4, 2018

T.G.I. Chemo…

Here is a supremely overdue update on my sweet Meme. She had her bilateral mastectomy on December 6, 2017. She breezed through surgery but recovery was not as simple.
She finally began chemo on March 9th after being put through a battery of other tests, including a double lung biopsy. The results weren’t favorable but they aren’t terminal either. She has diffused idiopathic pulmonary neuroendocrine cell hyperplasia (DIPNECH) which is a diffuse parenchymal lung disease which often presents with symptoms of cough and shortness of breath. In some ways she’s grateful for explanations that neither her primary care physician nor cardiologist could provide. In other ways, it’s one more diagnosis to worry about and watch over. She has chemo every Friday and my mom Lisa (another seasoned pro) usually takes her. TGIF right??
We had previously “played dress up” many months ago (when she was initially diagnosed) in my wig/scarf/hat collection. We were able to rule out BLONDE immediately! 😊 It all became very real at lunch in West Point one recent Saturday. We were dining outside when a large gust of wind loosened a tuft of her hair almost to the flying away point. We went back to my house and shaved it over root beer floats.
Since I know her so well and have served as her resident hairstylist for most of my life, I took it upon myself to order a wig on her behalf and she LOVES it. I must say, she looks stunning! Eat your heart out Raquel Welch!
She is not without her tired and depleted days – those are Monday and Tuesday- but she remains a pillar of strength and beauty and love.
4 down, 8 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment